Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snow Adventures

I don't have to tell anyone that the weather is bad right now...so I will just show you:

Here is my car on the first day it showed about a week ago...


And this is my car right now!


It is this bad for two reasons. First, the snow plow pushed some snow towards my car. Second, this street is right next to Lake Mendota, so the drifts are crazy bad.



Can you believe that the city of Madison wants me to move my car just to the other side of the street?? If I don't, I could get a $60 ticket! This morning, the city did not send the parking enforcement out because of "unsafe conditions". As of now, my plan to risk it and hope that there will be "unsafe conditions" tomorrow morning as well :(

UPDATE:
The city sent a reminder email to everyone saying that they would be giving tickets and towing tomorrow morning, so Tycho and I went and moved our cars.


School at UW-Madison was cancelled today. The following is an excerpt from an email that I received:
University spokesman John Lucas said that this is the first wide-scale class cancellation due to snow since Dec. 3, 1990. He added that this is the first time that non-essential staff have been asked to stay home in addition to the cancellations since Jan. 26, 1978.

Tycho and I walked around for a while and took some pictures. We helped one person get unstuck and offered help to a couple others. In preparation for having to move my car, I bought an avalanche shovel. I think it is a good investment because I will just leave it in my car in case of an emergency.

I took one last picture.

Tycho took the rest of the pictures.

1 comment: