Monday, July 26, 2010

Ode to TED (Day 2): Choice

Oh, no. Yesterday, I completely forgot to continue my Ode to TED week. Well, today shall be "Day 2".

Today's TED video is also one of the most popular of all time. It is about the negative aspects of choice.

TEDGlobal 2005: Barry Schwartz on the paradox of choice (TED link)


**BOUNS**
I am making today a double feature! I just watched a new TED video that is also about the negative aspects of choice, but from a slightly different perspective.

TEDGlobal 2010: Sheena Iyengar on the art of choosing (TED link)

(Sorry that the embedded video is too large. I had no "choice". FYI, the video length is 24:09. You can also watch this video from TED's site where it will not be cut off.)

P.S.
I was reading some of the comments about the second video. One person had this to say:
Apple limits choice because they know too many choices confuse buyers and increase chance for buyers remorse - thus, they only offer a few products in each line that are clearly distinguishable. Other tech companies like LG, Samsung, and HP produce so much variety that they have almost no solidified brand reputation.

~Ari Melman

No comments:

Post a Comment